Yes chia seeds, the same ones you rubbed on a ceramic dog, cat or hippopotamus and watched grow into a green plant . What exactly is a chia seed? Chia seeds originate from South America and were a staple in the diet of the ancient Mayans. Coincidently, the word chia means “Strength!” according to ancient Mayan culture
So why is this tiny little seed so super ?
Check out these stats
A 1 ounce (28 grams) (2 tablespoons) serving of chia seeds contains
• Fiber: 11 grams.
• Protein: 4 grams.
• Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
• Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
• Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
• Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
• Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.
• They also contain a good amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
• Chia Seeds are a whole grain
How do these stats translate to your health?
• Added protein to your diet
• Tons of nutrients densely packed into few calories! That single ounce only contains 137 calories!
• Loaded with antioxidants , which help fight the production of free radical that can damage molecules in cells and contribute to aging and diseases like cancer
• Gram for gram, chia seeds have more calcium then milk which helps to keep your bones strong !
• Due to protein fiber content can be a usual full addition if your goal is weight loss
• Regular use of chia seeds has been shown to help people with type 2 diabetes keep blood sugar in check
And the best part there SUPER easy to incorporate into your diet!
I put them in my pre and post work out shakes , I add them to a dish of cottage cheese or one of my favorites , I mix them in with a half cup of Greek yogurt , drizzle on some honey and add some cinnamon powder as an afternoon snack !
You can also sprinkle them on oatmeal and your favorite salads!
Here is my tip, I prefer to make a chia seed gel as it blends into smoothies, yogurt, and cottage cheese much easier.
How do you make it, you ask?
Simply get a mason jar, depending on size of the mason jar, the basic ratio is 2 heaping tablespoons of chia seeds to 1 cup of water, I usually use a small mason jar so I double that
Stir it up to eliminate clumping and put it in the fridge, & few hours later, BOOM! You have chia seed gel!
And for some more ideas of how to use chia seeds, which in my opinion are the “SUPEREST” of all super foods. Check out
P.S visit facebook.com/YouKenBeFit2 , Like it, Share it and please do share how much you enjoyed chia seeds !
Till next time
You Stay Fit, America