Type 2 Diabetes is a growing problem these days. In fact, 29.1 million people in the United States have Type 2 diabetes, 8.1 million of whom may be un diagnosed and unaware of their condition. And what striking is there is a drug out there one of the least expensive , super effective to help manage and in some cases reverse type 2 diabetes and it is severely underutilized. What is that drug … drum roll please ……. EXERCISE!
Now in general, just get up and move! Physically activity, no matter what it is, will help tremendously in helping control your diabetes. But is there one type of exercise that helps the most, in my opinion YES, and that form of exercise is weight training.
Why weight training? Well for starters , you need to know your body has three different energy systems that operate during exercise ( more detail on them in a previous blog ,click here ) , But by doing weight training type exercises , your using the Anaerobic glycolisis system , which , without getting too super scientific , once your body has used its immediate energy stores in your muscles, breaks down glucose into energy and delivers it to the working muscles , where as doing aerobics such as walking etc mainly tap into your adipose tissue( Fat ) for fuel .So by weight training, your “ manually” forcing your body to utilize blood glucose, and kick starting your pancreas to improve your insulin resistance .
Generally , I would recommend to do weight training at least twice a week, 6 -8 exercises , 2- 3 sets , keep your repetition range in the 12 to 15 range early on and resting between sets for 30 seconds to 1 minute, as this will help your body use more of the free blood glucose in your blood .
Here are a few tips for getting started:-
- First and foremost, check with your doctor before you begin any exercise regime-Eat an hour or so before you work out
- Check your blood sugar before exercise and after exercise
- If you feel week, lighted headed, dizzy, STOP ,Diabetics are more susceptible to Hypoglycemia
- In going with the above statement, always have a simple carbohydrate in your gym bag, in the invent the above should happen , Glucotabs , apple juice are good choices to have
- Make sure you are wearing good sneakers and taking care of your feet, if you have any pains in your foot as a result of weight training, go see your physician and get it checked out
- Most of all HAVE FUN ! work out with a friend , listen to your favorite music !
In closing, weight training should be an integral part of your physical activity regime if you have been diagnosed with diabetes. Its benefits are that of a drug without any harm side effects and will help to make life dealing with Type 2 diabetes far more simple. Simply put, it’s the most important drug for dealing with diabetes, so I hope you’ll start your prescription soon!
Till next time
You Stay Fit, America
P.S Have you check out Facebook.com/YouKenBeFit2 , NO ?!?1 You should , I post a lot of fun fitness and motivation stuff !